I ran that frequency for 70 minutes, with a 6 minute break and wound up with 121 contacts. My equipment was a KX3 with a KXPA100 amplifier, a Plantronics headset for hands-free VOX operation, a laptop with N3FJP for logging, and my vehicle for power.
I had run power lines from the battery terminals through the firewall and into the cab.
The FCC intended this type of station to be audible up and down a few miles of roadway, but this station can be heard twenty miles away, even after dark!
(Obviously this means they are exceeding allowable field strength limits, but I bear them no ill-will, so I don’t want to identify the station.) I asked the station engineer why he thought the set-up worked so well and he said, “I use 120 full size 1/4 wave radials.” I asked him how he found the space to fit them all, and he said, “I laid them out in a spiral pattern.” I finally, finally got the latest revision of the WN8U Logger released. A lot of the code complexity has been cleaned up and I now have excellent support for the Winkey, KX3 CW/PSK/RTTY internal keyers, and even the KX3 digital voice recorder.
The shield of the PL-259 had a wire soldered and I attached that to a jumper connected to the frame of my car for a counterpoise.
The mast was supported by zip-ties attached to the wheel of my car. So what I did was place my amp on the hood of my car, plug my 1:1 balun (unun?
The antenna was a 35ft wire soldered to the center of a PL-259, taped to the side of a 40ft fiberglass mast from Spiderbeam.Right now the only contest module I have available is the Ohio State Parks On the Air 2016. I may release the Ohio QSO Party 2016 module in the next week. The biggest improvement is that the rest of the contest modules will be much easier to write and maintain going forward. I had texted my friend Denny (KC8RPV) to find me a nice quiet frequency on 40m while I got setup.When everything was ready, I called and he replied.It was a tight fit getting the connections from the amp to the KX3 into the operating position (driver’s seat) but it just barely made it. Setup was about ten minutes and teardown was even less!I was flying high after the activation all day, and the next (Monday). Planning Error #1: Relying on Plans Leads to Failure.
In fact, project managers have a phrase that encapsulates this problem.